Monday I called Annette (my sister) to see what she did today and she mentioned having met with an author at Holden's school, Pam Munoz Ryan, author of "Esperanza Rising," "Becoming Naomi Leon," and her new book, "Paint the Wind," and other children's books. I almost dropped the phone because Pam Ryan is one of Bailey's FAVORITE authors and last year Bailey read ALL of her books and gushed on and on about how she LOVED Ryan as an author and if I ever knew of any more books by her that I should let Bailey know. Well after I cursed out Annette for not telling me sooner so Bailey and I could attend the program, Annette informed me that Ryan would be at a book store in Salt Lake and would Bailey and I like to attend the signing with her. Well OF COURSE we would!
So I picked Bailey up at swimming and we headed out on what turned out to be a Mommy-daughter date. Luckily we got to the store about 15 minutes before the actually signing started and there were only a handful of people. Bailey was able to talk with Pam, asked her some very intelligent questions (like, "Where did you get your inspiration for 'Esperanza Rising?'"), and even get a picture.
Her smile says it all.
Then Annette, Bailey and I did some poses out in front of the cute bookstore called "The King's English" (one of those GREAT small bookstores that are becoming few and far between thanks to the likes of "Barnes & Noble" ala "You've Got Mail" --- Can't we all just get along and co-exist?). We then went to a quaint little Italian restaurant next door and headed home. Such a fun little girly outing with my wonderful growing up way too fast daughter!



5 comments:
What a fantastic day!! I've never been to an author's signing, but it's one of the things I want to do before I die. Now I just have to get over the "never enough parking, hate waiting in lines, too many people excuses." Your post might help that happen.
Glad you guys had a great time.
How wonderful for Bailey! Its moments like these that keep the love for reading alive. That is a true gift that we should all hope our kids have. I love reading and am hoping that rubs off on the little twerps...WE miss YOU here!
That is so fun! And that restaurant is one of my favorites...and the bookstore too! How fun! Yes- we have great things going on in SLC- why don't you move here?
I love her books! I read some in my Chil. Lit. class in college. How fun.
Love her too. And those cute pictures! What a great thing for Bailey!
Post a Comment