Saturday, September 15, 2007

So so sorry Laurel...

Well as you know I am heavily involved in our elementary school's PTA (to say the least -- ha ha), and this year (& last) all of our school t-shirts were arranged and very economically done by the husband of my very good friend Laurel (or at least before this blog she was my very good friend). His name is Thomas (the husband of my very good friend that is). And we love Thomas. He is so very special. So special indeed that he has given himself his very own holiday and one in which he wishes for me to share with you on this very blog. Now if Thomas had not been so good to me and my school, I promise you this would not be happening...but Thomas as I said, your wish is my command...

From Thomas:

THOMAS DAY 2007 -- September 20, 2007 (Odd years only of course) :

Friends of Thomas (and all you Thomas's),


(Megan, please put this on your blog... I don't think Laurel is going
to be too excited about putting it on hers).

The date is almost here! On Thursday, Sept. 20th the third
biannual Thomas Day Celebration will commence. If you are a Thomas
(first,middle or last name (including maiden names) please join in the
celebration of your Thomasness. Our celebration this year will take a
moreinformal tone with an open house sponsored and hosted by the originator
of Thomas Day. Please feel free to drop by Thomas's residence at 10462
E. Laguna Azul Ave., Mesa AZ between 6:30 and 8 PM for revelry,
conversation, snacks or to simply expand your network of Thomases.

Celebration of Thomas Day always creates a bit of confusion and
misunderstanding among those who are not familiar with the holiday.
To address this, I've composed a brief summary that addresses the
history, purpose and motivation of this day set aside for Thomas's
throughout the world to come together in a show of unity, commitment and
celebration. The modern celebration of Thomas Day began in 2001 but the
informal jubilation of Thomas's most certainly extends as far back as
written history. In fact one of the stated missions of the Thomas Day
Committee is to try and trace our name back to the very first Thomas.
Thomas Day is a celebration of the common link between all Thomas's,
a shared identification as Thomas and our responsibilities to
positively impact the rest of the human race. To be sure, a
self-recognitionthat to be Thomas is to carry a distinguished name with
significant social responsibilities, is not limited to just one day
every two years; to be Thomas is to represent the best that is in
us 365 days of the year.

From the charter established in the first Thomas Day Celebration,
"The Thomas Day committee encourages free and frequent socialization
among Thomas's of all nationalities, disciplines, ages, genders and
families. Let us be an example to the world of the amiable associations
and brotherhood that should exist among all mankind. Our common unity as
Thomas should never exclude others of different names, rather we would
treat every Jane, Dick and Harry as if they were our own brother or
sister.รข€ As you can see "Thomas Day" is not an exclusionary
celebration but a time for Thomas's to come together and recommit to being
the best member of the human family we can be. We do not diminish but
rather we salute our non-Thomas's for their great accomplishments.
We admire and seek to become more like all you Williams, Kates, Jeffs
and Angelas.

Again, quoting from the inaugural Thomas Day publication (which is
available in a reprint for a nominal price), "To be Thomas is surely
different to each of us and it would be impossible to capture the
essence of "Thomas" in a single volume, much less one paragraph. To
describe what it is to be Thomas is, therefore, an impossible task.
Thomas's not only have tremendous variety and difference but within that
distinctiveness is depth and sophistication. Thomas is made of every
human emotion, endless hopes and dreams, infinite experience and
unfathomable promise and potential. In fact, it may be said that the
Thomas experience IS the human experience."

With this brief introduction I ask you to forward this announcement to
all your family and friends such that every Thomas out there will learn
of this special day and feel welcome at our celebration. You will be
amazed to discover how many Thomas's you know and have influenced
your lives. For those Thomas's who plan to attend, please RSVP
(
thomaswicke@hotmail.com) so we may plan sufficiently and accommodate
the vast numbers wishing to attend .

Thank you,
Thomas


Thomas Wicke, Chair
Griffin Thomas Wicke, Chair in Training
Thomas Day Committee 2007
Okay...if you actually made it through that whole thing then you know that "our Thomas" has a brilliant (if not totally disturbed) mind. This is why we love him so. So to you Thomas and all other Thomas's out there -- HAPPY THOMAS DAY!

Thomas with his 2 beautiful kids...Griffin Thomas & Logan
(I know, I know...he looks perfectly normal)...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so deprived. I don't know any Thomas's. However, if I DID know a Thomas then I am sure that Thomas would be a phenomenal influence in my life. In fact, I NOW know the reason I yell at my children and am addicted to diet coke...I am not a Thomas knower. Have a fun Thomas day all of you Thomas knowers.

Anonymous said...

I feel so deprived. I don't know any Thomas's. However, if I DID know a Thomas then I am sure that Thomas would be a phenomenal influence in my life. In fact, I NOW know the reason I yell at my children and am addicted to diet coke...I am not a Thomas knower. Have a fun Thomas day all of you Thomas knowers.

Anonymous said...

OK...I'm obviously a little computer retarded.

Laurel said...

Megan, Megan, Megan...why?? I can hear your diabolical laugh all the way down here in Arizona.

JoJo said...

Haha. That is so funny!!! I want a Jocelyn day! What a thought...

Happy Warrior in Training said...

Megan, The Thomas Day Committee officially recognizes you as a "Friend of Thomases Everywhere". Thank you. By the way, are you sure there isn't a Thomas is your direct lineage... a great grandfather or an uncle once removed? There is usually a reason for a natural disposition toward Thomases... perhaps a yet to be born son is influencing you and preparing your heart for his arrival.
-Thomas

MarySue said...

Can I change my dogs name from Kirby to Thomas? It's the only thing I can think to do to be eligible for what sounds like a great gathering of outrageously funny people. And Mesa is within striking distance for me. P.S. I almost forgot why I came to your blog today...may I please have John's vanilla syrup recipe that Annette raves about. Later.

go boo boo said...

I thought of a Thomas (a whole family of Thomas') the Wrights! I think that is hilarious. I like the diabolical laugh bit too (totally me too! I mean I have a diabolical laugh). He does look super normal (and the kids are darrrling) but didn't he run across Jamboree in a cape and costume at some point, like only a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

Thomas is a great person- but he obviously has too much time on his hands... mmmmm... Should I have named one of boys Thomas????