Thursday, February 14, 2008

Martha Stewart I am NOT!


Happy Valentine's Day!
I decided to break out of my cookie routine --I am a Chocolate Chipper by nature and oh can I make a GREAT Chocolate Chip Cookie -- but alas I decided to take a risk and make special heart Sugar Cookies for my little ones and sweet hubby. Well after searching my favorite recipe site...recipe.com, I found a very highly rated (and simple looking) recipe and went for it. I started last night since the dough had to chill and made the simple dough and hardly made a mess. Then today the explosion of the kitchen began as I took out the chilled dough, rolled out the cookies and began to cut and bake.

After the hour I spent rolling out the dough and baking, I realized a big mistake...NO POWDERED sugar for frosting! Aargh! So I ran across the street, got my powdered sugar from my nice neighbor and began making frosting. THEN I figured out that I had no food coloring either...COME ON! Well a few red sprinkles took care of that (mix them in the frosting and VOILA! Pink Frosting...who knew???). And besides the corn syrup spill all over the counter (hey crying over spilled milk is NOTHING...try gooey, sticky corn syrup)...they turned out okay and my kitchen survived. And I only silent swore once or twice in the process! Once not so silent. Success!

Next year (or next sugar cookie holiday), I am going to go to Great Harvest or The Bun Basket and BUY the cookies! Seriously, do you think my family really cared that I worked so hard to try and be a better homemaker? No tears of gratitude thus far.


Hey but check out the oh-so-simple and cute Valentine's Boxes the girls made...
And P.S. The Cookies are REALLY tasty!

5 comments:

megan said...

I have so been there when you try to make something that you know that your family will love and I have to borrow everything from one neighbor and then different one just to get the damn things done. I think these look good and tasty. I did not make the home made ones I set out to this year for v-day but, maybe later some time.
p.s. New york looked like it was a blast.

Kate said...

I love making sugar cookies.. and they are really so simple! Hey- at least you gave your kids something... I haven't started that yet, maybe next year???

Laurel said...

Oh my gosh, Katie!! I was going to say exactly the opposite. Isn't that funny? I was going to say I HATE making sugar cookies because they are so complicated. So much so that I never do. Really. Never.

And who cares how they look anyway, as long as they taste good. Besides, why are you even messing around with any other cookie than chocolate chip. See? This is the universe telling you that no other cookie is worth your time.

PS: The universe is also telling you to send some chocolate chip cookies to your friend in Arizona. I don't know if you can hear it, so I thought I would pass that along.

Elisa said...

Wow! You MADE sugar cookies for your kids? AND you gave them V-day presents? It's official. I get the Looser-mother of the year award! AND I don't ever bake chocolate chip cookies for my kids--- ALL cookies I bake turn into hockey pucks... seriously. Even those pre-made ones at the store. My kids are in dire need of therapy... sigh.
Your cookies look marvelous!! Way to go!

Sher said...

Kudos, to you! I am, also, a chocolate chipper (actually Kennedie is--and I get to help).
This year my kids' treat was fishing M&M's out of the "treat bowl" that I keep on the piano.
Good job!